Selecting the Right Woodstove Thermometer

Your choice of woodstove thermometer is dependent on a number of factors:
  • the type of stove,
  • type of stove pipe and
  • personal preference/comfort.
Catalytic Thermometer:
If you have a new flanged stove with a fancy catalytic combustor in it you will need one of these. While I have a newer EPA woodstove it isn't one of these so my choices were among the next three. Don't know much more about them as I didn't need to know beyond that I can't use it in my stove.

Stove Top Thermometer:
This type of thermometer lies on the top of the woodstove. Often it also has a magnet in it as well. It works by estimating the temperature of the stove by the temperature of the stove top.

Magnetic Stove Pipe Thermometer:
This type of thermometer is attached magnetically to the stove pipe, generally at least 18 inches above the stove. It can only be used with single walled stove-pipes.

Flue Gas Probe Thermometer:
A probe thermometer (see the picture above) looks something like an oven meat thermometer, and is inserted in a hole at least 18 inches above the woodstove. It is the only type that can be used with a double-walled stove pipe.

What did I choose?
I installed the flue gas probe thermometer.

I have a double-walled stove pipe so the magnetic stove pipe thermometer drops of the list. As for the stove top thermometer - the whole idea of estimating the temperature based on siting on the stove or attached magnetically to the stove or pipe just doesn't sit right with me. Having a probe right in the flue gas just seemed so much more comforting or should I say exacting. And the price differential was not that great - for an extra $5 or $10 dollars I was able to get the Flue Gas Probe thermometer. I believe I paid in the order of $25 for the probe thermometer.

Coming Up:
In the next post I'll describe the installation of the flue gas probe thermometer

Related Posts:
Safe Wood Stove Practice: Knowing the Temperature
7 Reasons to Install a Woodstove Chimney Thermometer