Tools you will need:
- Electric drill with a 1/4 inch drill bit
- Measuring tape
- Work gloves (if the stove pipe is hot)
- Measure and mark a spot on the stove pipe at least 18 inches above the top of the stove. Along as the location is at least 18 inches from the stove top the rest is really aesthetic. I like having the thermometer immediately visible from the front of the stove.
- Drill a 1/4-inch hole at the spot you marked. I have a double-walled stove pipe a sharp metal drill bit was necessary, as the interior wall is stainless steel.
- Insert the Probe thermometer in the hole. My thermometer came with an eyelet and a magnet which were threaded on to the probe before putting it in the hole.
In up coming posts I will discuss some the of the issues regarding what to burn, and what not to burn in your wood stove.